Today is #internationalbreastcancerday and October is #breastcancerawarenessmonth. A week has come and gone since I found out I am a mutant (BRCA2+ gene mutation). A week to pray. A week to find new health insurance because I stopped traveling, started a new job, and lost my coverage because of being in the in between. Add to all this an upper respiratory infection, lost toenails, and an unexpected tooth extraction and one might believe the universe is conspiring against me. But don’t believe that because the universe is not the creator. God is. He has known about my mutant status all along. He was not thrown off by any of these things. I know that he knows and he knows that I know he knows. And I have peace about all of it. 

So what to do? Doctors say I should either have surveillance 4x/year OR preventive hormone/chemo therapy OR a prophylactic bilateral mastectomy. Also I should have increased surveillance at the gyn with ultrasounds and CA125 1-2x/year OR a total hysterectomy. Also annual visits to a dermatologist to look for melanoma, full body exams.

I’ve decided to go with increased surveillance. I’ve been a surgical nurse for almost 24 years. I’ve even done all these cancer related breast and gyn surgeries. Surgery is no joke. It is painful and keeps a person out of commission for weeks. I am the only bread winner in my family. If I don’t work, I don’t eat. Or pay rent. I don’t get paid time off. I don’t have a spouse to support me. It’s me or nobody. And the preventive surgery is not a guarantee of being cancer free for the rest of my life anyway. There is no man on this planet that can guarantee that. So why go chopping bits of me away?

Here’s what I know for sure. God gave me a heads up and I’m so very thankful for that! I trust him. I know he’s got my back. He is the only one with authority to say how my life ends! I may be a mutant, but I do NOT have cancer! I have information. I have insurance. I have a Heavenly Father who loves me. I have confidence in him. I have hope. I have peace. It is well with my soul. 

Happy Wednesday!


2779 | 93 | Hard news this week. Still trying to wrap my mind around it. God is still on his throne. I am still thankful. 

1855. 5 May the Lord direct your hearts to the love of God and to the steadfastness of Christ. (‭2 Thessalonians‬ ‭3‬:‭5‬ ESV)
1856. For prayer and being on the prayer team even when it’s just to pray for each other.
1857. Speaking to my friend who lives in Cali about the plan to visit me here in Phoenix.

1858. 4 Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant 5 or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; 6 it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth. 7 Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. 8 Love never ends. As for prophecies, they will pass away; as for tongues, they will cease; as for knowledge, it will pass away. 9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10 but when the perfect comes, the partial will pass away. 11 When I was a child, I spoke like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I gave up childish ways. 12 For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I have been fully known. 13 So now faith, hope, and love abide, these three; but the greatest of these is love. (‭1 Corinthians‬ ‭13‬:‭4-13‬ ESV)
1859. Took on Echo Canyon Trail and met a man from Uganda 🇺🇬 and got to reminisce about my time there in 2011.
1860. Found out I have the BRCA2 mutation and now have to go see a physician 4 times a year forever. This calls for thanksgiving and ice cream and trusting the Lord to make a way through the wilderness of figuring out what to do now?

1861. 7 Beloved, let us love one another, for love is from God, and whoever loves has been born of God and knows God. 8 Anyone who does not love does not know God, because God is love. 9 In this the love of God was made manifest among us, that God sent his only Son into the world, so that we might live through him. 10 In this is love, not that we have loved God but that he loved us and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins. 11 Beloved, if God so loved us, we also ought to love one another. (‭1 John‬ ‭4‬:‭7-11‬ ESV)
1862. Even though I am feeling trapped between a rock and a hard place.
1863. Abraham Lincoln and his courage to go against the majority in order to end slavery.

1864. 10 Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of his might. (‭Ephesians‬ ‭6‬:‭10‬ ESV)
1865. If having the BRCA2 gene mutation means I have up to an 87% chance of getting breast cancer in my lifetime, I will thank God for the faith he has given me to believe I will be in the 13% of those who do NOT get breast cancer.
1866. That he told me to read Psalm 91 before the phone call that changed my world 🌎.

1867. 10 I will greatly rejoice in the Lord; my soul shall exult in my God, for he has clothed me with the garments of salvation; he has covered me with the robe of righteousness, as a bridegroom decks himself like a priest with a beautiful headdress, and as a bride adorns herself with her jewels. (‭Isaiah‬ ‭61‬:‭10‬ ESV)
1868. Choosing to not listen to the naysayers and really believe I will be in the 13%.
1869. Also, being BRCA2 + proves I’m totally an X man or woman or person. 💪🏼

1870. 26 My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. (‭Psalms‬ ‭73‬:‭26‬ ESV)
1871. The surgery center air conditioning unit broke today so we only worked for 3 hours!
1872. XMen status firmly established. Super powers : nurse, mercy, compassion, forgiveness, hands and feet of Jesus.

1873. 1 Contend, O Lord, with those who contend with me; fight against those who fight against me! (‭Psalms‬ ‭35‬:‭1‬ ESV)
1874. The Lord is my rock and refuge and protector. He will fight for me.
1875. Even though I am sick with a virus and kind of stuck inside I will be thankful.

Happy Sunday!


How do you make a long story short? What do you do when you find yourself in a club you didn’t sign up for?

1. Sister was diagnosed with breast cancer in July.
2. Genetic test reveals BRCA2 Gene mutation.
3. BRCA2 is a tumor suppressing Gene.
4. The mutation means the gene is broken. No tumor suppression.
5. The risk of breast cancer goes from 7% to 56% up to 87% over a lifetime.

What are the implications for my family?

1. This mutation came directly from my father or my mother.
2. There’s a 50% chance that each child born to them has the mutation.
3. If I have the mutation there’s a 50% chance that my boys have The mutation.

What would you do? I discussed it with my boys and together we decided I should be tested. It turns out I have the mutation as well. Now I am standing on the edge of a possibility I never believed would occur.

Cancer is an enemy that has creeped into the lives of far too many people. If we are to fight this war we must be armed with as much information about the enemy as possible. The Lord has gifted men and women with knowledge to defeat this enemy. Now it’s time for me to make a battle plan.

Immediately before getting the test results, I became anxious. My merciful heavenly Father reminded me of Psalm 91. I believe he was preparing me for this moment. He was not surprised. He created me. He created every strand of DNA and every person on this planet.

And since I cannot unknow what I know now, I will keep moving forward in faith. I will not be shaken. I refuse to be shaken. My life is built on nothing less than Jesus blood and righteousness. I will stand firm!

1 Those who go to God Most High for safety will be protected by the Almighty. 2 I will say to the LORD, “You are my place of safety and protection. You are my God and I trust you.” 3 God will save you from hidden traps and from deadly diseases. 4 He will cover you with his feathers, and under his wings you can hide. His truth will be your shield and protection. 5 You will not fear any danger by night or an arrow during the day. 6 You will not be afraid of diseases that come in the dark or sickness that strikes at noon. 7 At your side one thousand people may die, or even ten thousand right beside you, but you will not be hurt. 8 You will only watch and see the wicked punished. 9 The LORD is your protection; you have made God Most High your place of safety. 10 Nothing bad will happen to you; no disaster will come to your home. 11 He has put his angels in charge of you to watch over you wherever you go. 12 They will catch you in their hands so that you will not hit your foot on a rock. 13 You will walk on lions and cobras; you will step on strong lions and snakes. 14 The LORD says, “Whoever loves me, I will save. I will protect those who know me. 15 They will call to me, and I will answer them. I will be with them in trouble; I will rescue them and honor them. 16 I will give them a long, full life, and they will see how I can save.” (‭Psalms‬ ‭91‬:‭1-16‬ NCV)

Happy Thursday!

Sharing with the thinkers at Lyli’s place.